Saturday, April 7, 2018

May 24, 2016 ~ Week 36

Is this week count even right? If its not, oh well! Anyways, I have successfully survuved my first week in the suburbs of Helsinki! I came down on Tuesday morning and arrived in Pasila after my 50 minute train ride from Lahti. My companions name is Elder Johnson from Arizona and he is one transfer ahead of me while he has got a complete grip on the language, so thats good that he's got it! He's also our district leader. We got right to work teaching a lesson a few hours after I got in which is always a great start! ANd we have taught a few more since then. Our apartment actually isnt even in our area, its in the sisters, and it takes us 15ish minutes ot get to our area by train so it was super inconvenient and uneffective. But that has all changed as yesterday we packed our apartment adn moved to a nother apartment in our area now! Last night was our first night in it.

Alright now I'll just skip right to the good stuff. Saturday was a weird day. We were in the downtown Helsinki for a lesson at the church. When we were walking back to the tram stop with our investigator some drunks in a bar on the side of the road stopped us and wanted to know if we are selling tickets to heaven. My comp. responded with no, but we have this book. The lady looked at it and said I don't want to read it, it's too thick! She said I just want to go to heaven, I'm a good person, I wake up every morning, I get ready for the day, I clean the dishes, I'm a good wife, I'm a good person, what more do I need to do to go to heaven. By this time our investigator is like what the heck, and our tram had arrived so as much as I would have loved to teach the whole bar about baptism, we had to leave and catch the tram. But they have our card and when they come to, hopefully they will call us. 
Story #2 happens 5 minutes later, when we get off the tram and start to walk into the train station to catch our train back home. A drunk lady grabs my companion and is vehemently yelling bless me bless me! And we are like alright we'll say a prayer for you and she is like no bless me and then she starts to bow down like she wants us to put our hands on her head and we are like uhhh.. There are crowds of just drunks all around watching us and if I had payed more attention to them probably mocking us, but we go on and we say a prayer for her and she keeps talking to us during the prayer telling us who to pray for and then she grabs this random guy and is like bless him and his mom too. And was like, hey arent you from the Church of Jesus Christ, and we are like yep, and he goes cool. So we walk away while the crazy lady is distracted, meanwhile our investigator who was with us has now left. And story #3 happens 15 seconds later when these two guys come up and start dishing anti on us and we are like we dont have time for this, if you want to bash come to church tomorrow and we can talk after. They didn't come...
Anyways it was a crazy few minutes and all of this followed a super awesome first lesson! 
Anyways, I love you all! Have a good week!

Some man at the train station preaching from his wheelchair.

No comments:

Post a Comment